From time to time, we all encounter negative people that seek to knock us down a peg. These people can drain our energy, impact our happiness, and affect our productivity and productivity. These people could come in the form of a pessimistic coworker, a friend or a family member that criticizes every move you make.
These quotes from well-known thinkers, respected authors, and inspirational figures can help you navigate and respond to negativity. After all, anyone whose accomplished something big has had to deal with the naysayers. These quotes and comebacks can provide you with a fresh perspective on these people or a much-needed laugh.
- Negative People Quotes
- Negative Thinking Quotes
- Inspirational Quotes for Negative People
- Toxic People Quotes
- Comebacks for Negative People
- How can you avoid negative thinking and become a more positive person?
- How can you get rid of negative people in your life?
Negative People Quotes
Let’s begin with some quotes about negative people, how they think or act, and what to do if you encounter them.
- “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out!” – Robin Sharma
- “You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.” – Joel Osteen
- “Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive, it’ll take their breath away.” – Tony Gaskins
- “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.” – Albert Einstein
- “The only thing a negative person will bring into your life is negativity.” – Mandy Hale
- “Don’t walk away from negative people – run!” – Mark Twain
- “Protect your spirit from contamination. Limit your time with negative people.” – Thema Davis
“Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Letting go of negative people doesn’t mean you hate them. It just means that you care about your own well-being.” – Unknown
- “Negative people can only infest you with discouragements when they find you around!” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Fire false friends. They are in to fast-forward your fall and failure.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Don’t let negative people spoil your day.” – Lolly Daskal
- “Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you!” – Auliq Ice
- “No matter how good you are, someone is always going to be against you.” – Terry Mark
- Negative people are like black holes, they suck in all the light but never shine themselves.
Negative people are architects of their own grey skies. Don’t let them design your horizon.
- Avoid the company of those who fan the flames of your doubts, rather than fueling your dreams.
- Negative people often mirror their own fears onto you; don’t let their reflection distort your self-image.
- Don’t befriend negative people or you’ll become like them.
- Say no to negative people. Period.
Negative Thinking Quotes
Wise people have something to say about negative thinking and how it poisons the mind.
- “Negativity is cannibalistic. The more you feed it, the bigger and stronger it grows.” – Bobby Darnell
- “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
- “If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.” – Peace Pilgrim
- “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Believing in negative thoughts is the single greatest obstruction to success.” – Charles F. Glassman
- “Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.” – Buddha
More Inspiration: 200+ Uplifting Quotes That Could Make Today Great
- “Positive anything is better than negative nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power.” – William James
- “Delete the negative; accentuate the positive!” – Donna Karan
- “Negativity is often the result of a lack of imagination. You can’t foresee a positive outcome, so you prepare for the worst.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Negative thoughts stick around because we believe them, not because we want them or choose them.” – Andrew J. Bernstein
- “Negativity distracts me from my goals. So I simply don’t entertain it.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- Negative thinking is like setting sail with a hole in your boat. Patch it up with positivity, and you’ll stay afloat.
- Beware the thorns of negative thoughts; they can pierce the bloom of positive action.
- Don’t wear the shackles of negative thoughts; they hinder your dance with life.
- Negative thoughts are the locks on the doors of potential. Positive thinking is the key.
- Dwelling on negative thoughts is like feeding a beast that devours joy. Starve the beast, nourish your happiness.
- The mirror of negative thinking distorts your reflection. Gaze instead into the mirror of positivity to see your true self.
- Stop your negative thoughts. It won’t bring you anywhere.
Inspirational Quotes for Negative People
Do you consider yourself a negative person? Here are some quotes for you that might encourage you to change your perspective.
- “People inspire you, or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” – Hans F. Hansen
- “Doubt and negativity are contagious. Be sure to surround yourself with a clean environment.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
- “Our life is what our thoughts make it.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “The more you feed your mind with positive thoughts, the more you can attract great things into your life.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” – James Allen
- “I like to encourage people to realize that any action is a good action if it’s proactive and there is positive intent behind it.” – Michael J. Fox
- “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” – Helen Keller
- “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” – Willie Nelson
- “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” – Oscar Wilde
- “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- Negative thinking is a narrow road leading nowhere. Positive thinking, on the other hand, is a wide path to endless possibilities.
- The weight of negative thoughts can slow your journey to success. Lighten your load by letting them go.
- Even the darkest night is temporary. Don’t let negative people convince you it’s forever.
- When you plant seeds of positivity, weeds of negativity find it hard to grow.
- Dance in the rain of challenges; don’t get drenched in the thunderstorm of negativity.
Toxic People Quotes
Stay away from toxic people. They do nothing but bring you down.
- “Save your skin from the corrosive acids from the mouths of toxic people. Someone who just helped you to speak evil about another person can later help another person to speak evil about you.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “When you are pursuing your dreams, they will call you crazy because they are lazy. They never know you are a hero who just jumped away from step zero. Stay away from negative people.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.” – John Mark Green
- “Don’t let toxic people infect you with the fear of giving and receiving one of the most powerful forces in this world… LOVE!” – Yvonne Pierre
- “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out!” – Robin Sharma
- “Toxic people spread their toxin to you and then you, in turn, become a wasteland like they are.” – Body Focus
- “The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become.” – Unknown
- “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it or cut them off.” – Shahida Arabi
- “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale
- “When you leave a toxic relationship, you’re not falling apart, you’re falling into place.” – Unknown
- “Stay away from lazy parasites, who perch on you just to satisfy their needs.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.” – Unknown
- Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed those in our lives who mean us harm.
- Engaging with toxic people is like dancing with a porcupine. You might think you can avoid the spikes, but you’ll always end up hurt.
- Never let toxic people infect your spirit; their venom is potent, but your will is stronger.
- Toxic people are like outdated software. They bring unnecessary complications and need constant updates. It’s better to uninstall them.
- Toxic people thrive on chaos; don’t invite their storm into your peace.
- The language of toxic people is laced with deceit.
- Toxic people do not have a place in a positive world.
Comebacks for Negative People
There’s still hope for negative people to veer towards a better path.
- “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “You are not a helpless victim of your own thoughts, but rather a master of your mind.” – Louise Hay
- “If you want to escape fear, you have to go through it, not around.” – Richie Norton
- “Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day.” – Alice Morse Earle
- “The more you are positive and say, ‘I want to have a good life,’ the more you build that reality for yourself by creating the life that you want.” – Chris Pine
- “Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.” – Unknown
“A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.” – Joyce Meyer
- “You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
- “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.” – Dalai Lama XIV
- “We can change our lives. We can do, have, and be exactly what we wish.” – Tony Robbins
- “The positivity in our life is a function of our thinking. So think positive, stay positive!” – Anonymous
- “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” – Francesca Reigler
“Do not wait for an opportunity to be all that you want to be; when an opportunity to be more than you are now is presented and you feel impelled toward it , take it And it will be the first step toward greater opportunity.” – Wallace D. Wattles
- “‘I am the greatest,’ I said that even before I knew I was.” – Muhammad Ali
- “In every day, there are 1,440 minutes. That means we have 1,440 daily opportunities to make a positive impact.” – Les Brown
- “A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.” – Patricia Neal
- “Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.” – Zig Ziglar
- Living a great and positive life is really a choice.
- The echo of negative thoughts can deafen one’s spirit. Tune into the harmony of positivity instead.
- Dark clouds of negativity can’t rain on your parade unless you let them hover.
How can you avoid negative thinking and become a more positive person?
According to scientists, we have a natural predisposition to negativity. This is most likely the result of evolution. At the dawn of human history, paying attention to bad, dangerous, and negative threats was literally a matter of life and death. People who were more attuned to danger and who paid more attention to the bad things around them were more likely to survive.
But the modern world is vastly safer than it was back the era of cave men and women. This negative thinking, while considered a survival mechanism could be preventing you from getting what you want. It prevents growth, impedes interaction with people, and prevents harmonious integration in a normal modern society.
Negative thinking is also harmful. Medical studies show persistent negative thinking can lead to cognitive decline, making you more susceptible to depression, anxiety, chronic stress, and even mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
On the other hand, positive thinking improves your mental health. It enhances creative thinking, visionary thinking, empathy, and connection. You become better equipped to handle adversity. In addition, positive thinkers are a third less likely to suffer from heart disease than persistent negative thinkers.
Becoming a more positive person is a journey that involves reshaping your mindset and changing your behavior.
Start a gratitude journal and write down a few things you’re thankful for each day. Doing this shifts your focus from what’s going wrong to what’s going right.
Surround yourself with positive people.
Positivity is contagious. By surrounding yourself with upbeat individuals, you’ll likely adopt their optimistic perspective.
Reframe negative thoughts.
Reframe negative thoughts in a more positive light. Instead of thinking “I’m terrible at this,” try “I’m getting better every time I practice.”
Exercise releases endorphins, the body’s natural mood lifters. Regular physical activity also improves self-confidence and helps you feel more positive about yourself and your life.
Kindness and generosity can improve your mood and foster a positive outlook. Consider volunteering or helping a friend in need.
More Motivation: 89+ Stay on Your Grind Quotes to Achieve Your Goals
Mindfulness and meditation can help clear your mind, reduce stress, and promote positivity. Start with a few minutes each day and gradually increase the time.
Limit exposure to negativity.
Limit your association with negative people, news, and social media. Surround yourself with positivity instead.
Set and achieve goals.
Goals give you something to work towards and achieving them brings a sense of accomplishment and positivity.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Eat a balanced diet, do regular exercises, sleep, and take time for self-care. Physical health plays a big role in mental wellbeing.
Regularly remind yourself of your strengths, achievements, and good qualities. This can help reinforce a positive self-image.
How can you get rid of negative people in your life?
Here are some tips on dealing with negative people effectively using a thoughtful approach.
Identify the negative people.
Identify the negative and toxic people in your life. These could be people who consistently drain your energy, criticize you, or create drama. This list makes it easier cut ties with people who bring you down.
You need to set boundaries. Limit the amount of time you spend with them. Come up with excuses to stay away if needed. Get busy building your busy, put in extra hours at work, or go on vacation.
Be open and honest. Explain how their negativity affects you. Some folks may not even realize they’re being negative, and your feedback might prompt a change.
Negative people love conflict and drama. Don’t engage in arguments or get drawn into their negativity. Maintain your composure and positivity.
Dealing with negativity can be stressful. Thus, ensure you are taking care of yourself. Exercise regularly, eat healthily, practice mindfulness or meditation, or do activities you love. I always find that going for a 30-minute run can reset my mindset.
If a negative person is causing significant stress or impacting your mental health, seek support from friends, family, a superior, or a mental health professional.
If you’ve tried the above steps and the person remains negative, you should distance yourself from them. This can be difficult, especially if they’re a close friend or family member. But if it’s the best option for your well-being, then do it.
I hope these quotes and practical comebacks help you deal with the negative people in your life in a positive way.